Promo Box 1

Promo Box 2

Promo Box 3

DIY Tire Seats

This summer project has taken me awhile-- but I'm very happy with how it turned out! Here is the quick guide to how I made my tire seats (which I plan to use in my classroom as a form of seating). These would be AMAZING in a reading nook! Please note this post contains some affiliate links for Amazon. 

First, you must procure a tire (or tires). I found mine via Facebook marketplace-- I got both for $5. But I've also heard a lot of tire shops will give them to teachers for free-- so it doesn't hurt asking!

I rolled both my tires into the driveway and gave them a good wash with a hose and bucket filled with water/Dawn dish soap. You can also use a degreaser-- but I figured Dawn would do the job. 
Then you have to wait for your tires to dry-- including the water that got into the inside. 

After mine dried I decided to prime them using Kiltz (the best brand?) primer-- and a paintbrush. I quickly learned that if I wanted to get into every nook and cranny I should use spray paint. 

After priming (and more drying)-- I picked a color of spray paint and went to town. Make sure to do this on a drop cloth or in the grass-- I always stain my pavement on accident...
After 2 coats of spray paint my tires were ready to go! You could easily stop here and put some round pillows inside the tires (like bucket seats). I decided to go one more step and create cushion tops. 

To make the seats I had my lovely father (who has been so kind and helpful with all my classroom projects!) cut 2 circles out of a large piece of plywood. I already had this piece of wood in my garage because I am refinishing a table. The circles had 2 sizes-- one fit exactly into the middle of the tire-- and the other was about 2 inches wider around the outside. 
Next, we put wood glue between the 2 pieces, clamped them together, and used screws to attach them. Make sure your screws aren't long enough to go all the way through both pieces of wood and stick out. My wood was fairly thick-- so I used 1.25" screws-- and they worked perfectly. 

After a night of drying-- the fun par was left! Decorating! I picked out a 1 yard of thicker fabric (an outdoor fabric would do well) as well as some foam
I cut 2 pieces of foam to fit onto each wood top--
    Put the fabric over the top-- and stapled it to the underside. 
Now each seat fits perfectly into the tire tops-- and won't fall off or into it! I am so excited to use these this year! 
What is a summer project you've been excited about? Feel free to share or ask questions in the comments! Hope you're having a lovely break!


5

DIY Paper Succulents

Hey everyone! So as I've been prepping for my classroom this summer-- I've absolutely fallen in love with succulents! Not the cacti type-- but the fat, round, and colorful type. As a result every piece of decor I've been making lately has a shiplap and succulent theme! Take a look below:
Most of the items pictured above can be found in my TPT store-- you can find them by clicking here.

Now on to to the real reason you're here. Paper succulents. I'm not going to lie to you-- it is time consuming. And if you have a cutting machine like a Cricut or Silhouette-- you can save yourself some serious time (plus you can make larger sized plants). 

So here we go! Here are the supplies you need: Cardstock (I bought 2 packs of green cardstock from Walmart for $5 each), scissors, pencil (if tracing), and hot glue. Each larger succulent took about three 12x12 pieces of cardstock, and the smaller ones took two 8.5x11" pieces. 
This first succulent was made from a template I found online for free. I didn't really follow their directions-- so you can make them either way. First, I printed the 2 pages onto the color of cardstock I wanted.
Next, I cut out the pieces. I laid the largest piece aside as a base. Next, I cut all the other pieces in half (and I also cut an extra piece of the smallest size). Cutting them in half let me make a small slit along the bottom-- where I used a small dot of hot glue to press the flaps together (giving them more of a standing look). You can see my process below...
After that I began assembling my succulent: 
I tried to make sure the petals were overlapping in each layer as I glued the pieces together. The very middle is the hardest to explain because I usually played it by ear-- bending and gluing the smallest pieces (sometimes even trimming them) until I was satisfied. 

Succulents 2 & 3 were created using my Cricut-- but I was able to trace a template for any lovers of the "trace and cut" method. If you want to make them larger-- you could always set the largest piece down on some paper and trace a larger figure around it. 

Basically for succulent #2, I used the largest piece as the base and bent all the other pieces upward at the petals.
Then you glue and stack, glue and stack-- and make sure the petals alternate (so you should see the previous layer in between). Here is my finished result with my original: 
The last succulent is my personal favorite! 
Also the easiest (in my opinion). It's the same process as above: Cut out shapes, bend the petals, and stack and glue the layers. 
Here is my original and the new one side by side:
Hope that helped inspire you in your paper succulent making quest! If you have any questions or suggestions please leave them in the comments below-- and I will try my hardest answer them ASAP. Hope you have a blessed day!

8
Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top