- The one time a kid rolled up on his bicycle and asked for my phone number. Cause I was DEFINITELY his age (or not)...
- The many times I waved/spoke to someone who clearly wasn't waving/talking to me...
- The one time I farted in class. (7th grade... I was mortified)
- The many times I've met new people but couldn't remember their names...
- The one time I went on a date-- but didn't think it was a date-- so I brought along a friend.
- The one time a friend brought me (and at least 3 other girls) on a date with her.
- The one time I forgot to pull the labels off my new jeans. My pant size was broadcast to the world.
- The one time I had a zit and applied too much zit cream. And in class my face started peeling. Making the zit even more obvious.
- The one time I tried a "College and Career" Sunday School class-- only to discover it was full of ONLY married couples. And I was the only single person. Who didn't know anyone. And had nobody talk to me.
In times of awkwardness, I have created some tips may help:
1. In case of any awkward situation: Master the "awkward turtle" hand motion (or turkey... or squid... whatever you like)
2. Learn to turn it into a joke.
3. Play with your phone... (aka: text friends to inform them of your current awkward situation)
4. If you are in an uncomfortable situation where you don't know anyone, simply stare at the ceiling-- like you see something intriguing or like you are thinking deeply. Or doodle on a paper. Like you are solving an algebra problem.
5. In case of awkward human interaction: Just smile and nod.
6. Run away.
7. In case of awkward party or social situations: Hide in the closest bathroom.
I am partial to #6... but I can never get up the courage to do it. Let's just say that #3 & 4 are my go to plans. I am a master at staring thoughtfully at a wall.
How do you handle awkward?