Which, naturally, got me thinking about that fantastic movie starring Mr. Jordan-- SPACE JAM!!! And this prompted me into further pondering various professional athletes who have (at least once) forgone their athletic prowess to make for us a delightful (perhaps) motion picture.
So for today's boredom Monday blog-- I give you-- Athletes who have made movies. If you read nothing else-- at least read the taglines for these films. Priceless. Also, observe the trend-- these are all men. Women athletes apparently know better than to push their luck.
- Starring: Michael Jordan, Bugs Bunny, and a bunch of other basketball guys (Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, etc)
- Plot Summary: Michael Jordan agrees to help the Looney Toons play a basketball game vs. alien slavers to determine their freedom
- Tagline: Get ready to jam!
- My opinion: SUCCESS! Who didn’t love this movie when they were a little kid?!? If you haven’t seen it—you need to watch it.
- Starring: Shaquille O’neal
- Plot Summary: “Being a lone young boy in the 'hood" is dangerous and unpleasant. This is what Max experiences when he fools a gang of local toughs who cornered him at school. The gang finds out that the key he gave them is of no value in committing a robbery, and they chase him through the streets of his neighborhood, bent on revenge. He tries to escape by slipping into the open door of an old warehouse, but they follow him there, too. While running from them through aisles filled with all kinds of stuff, he bumps into an old boom box. By doing that, he manages to release Kazaam, a genie who has been held captive for thousands of years. In order to stay free, Kazaam must give Max three wishes…”
- Tagline: The world's most powerful genie has just met his match.
- Preview (this one rocks my socks)
- My opinion: I know I watched this on TV when I was little… In my *ahem* professional opinion I think this would be a great movie to watch when you have absolutely nothing else to do and you need a good laugh.
- Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger (He was kind of a sports star—at least, he was Mr. Universe)
- Plot Summary: A tough cop is given his most difficult assignment: masquerade as a kindergarten teacher in order to find a drug dealer.
- Tagline: An undercover cop in a class by himelf.
- My opinion: Hilarious! I think this is one movie that really shows us the depth of Arnold’s acting abilities. So if you haven’t seen it—I highly recommend it.
3 Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain
- Starring: Hulk Hogan
- Plot summary: Three young boys, Rocky, Colt and Tum Tum together with their neighbor girl, computer whiz Amanda are visiting Mega Mountain amusement park when it is invaded by an army of ninjas led by evil Medusa, who wants to take over the park and hold the owners for ransom. Kids and retired TV star Dave Dragon, who made his farewell appearance at the park at the time the ninjas appeared, have to break Medusa's vicious plans.
- Tagline: Saving the day the ninja way.
- My opinion: I have no words. I am 100% certain I enjoyed the first “3 ninjas”… but this one is really blowing my mind!!!
- Starring: Dwayne (the rock) Johnson
- Plot Summary: A bad deed on the part of a tough minor-league hockey player results in an unusual sentence: He must serve one week as a real-life tooth fairy.
- Tagline: The tooth hurts.
- My opinion: I haven’t seen this… But I have seen other Dwayne Johnson movies—and they are usually of the highest caliber. What gets better than a grown man parading around in tights and a lacy skirt? I have no idea…
I will leave you now with your thoughts. If you can think of any other athletes making movies-- please share! But other than that-- this has been a great cure to my Monday boredom. I hope it does the same for you.